Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Same View – Different Settings

So I was on my way out of town last night to do some sunset pictures at a specific location and I decided to stop on the side of the road to take a couple of shots to show how the same picture can look so so different with simply changing your settings.

The first image was literally point and shoot – My camera was on aperture priority,f2.5 1/2000sec with a 50mm 1.4 prime lens.  (a 50mm prime isn’t exactly what I would normally use to do a landscape shot, but like I said, this was just pick up the camera as is and shoot)

1

The difference between the first and second images has nothing to do with me changing my aperture, f-stop, or ISO settings.  I left everything alone, what I did change was my metering system – I changed from evaluative to spot metering.  As a result, the camera sensor system changed my shutter speed to 1/8000 from 1/2000, causing much more of the detail to appear in the sky.

2 

The final image I took the information from the first 2 shots and tweaked it by deciding to bring in more detail in the clouds – and changing my settings to:  1/800 f16

3

It was a beautiful sunset :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!