One thing I have found is that photography and Scrapbooking go hand in hand. Even if you only shoot professionally, when it comes to wedding photography, there are Bridal Albums involved, and these albums are no longer the basic 8x10 matted in a plastic page – rather there is a full layout in Photoshop. Scrapbooking, like Bridal Albums has also evolved over time, but the unique look and individual attention to detail has stood the test of time. The local business - Simply Croppin’ will be holding their annual Christmas Card Class in only a few weeks, and if you are at all interested, now is the time to sign up. This is were you and I get to get out for the night and actually complete 20 Christmas Cards that we can later give to family and friends to ooow and ahhh over! If this is something that you might be interested in, give Lisa a call at 519-828-3232 for availability on either the 12th or 26th of November. Experience is not a prerequisite, cost is only $25, and spots fill quickly. All you need to bring are scissors and adhesive ( preferably not a glue stick) This is a Great Social Night to get out with a friend or family member! For more information call 519.828.3232
Friday, October 29, 2010
One very happy active Big Brother…takes his family for a run around Hungry Hollow! There was running, jumping swinging. climbing and splashing, he did it all, and no doubt had a nice nap afterwards too! Beautiful weather and a great family, makes for some fun shots- Press play for a peek!
Thursday, October 28, 2010
Wednesday, October 27, 2010
Recently I had noticed some pictures on the social media site – facebook, referring to a Bridal Shop that had opened in Strathroy. With the population boom in this local town I was not overly surprised, and today I had the chance to stop in while I was out. The location of the classy Once Upon A Time Weddings is located on the corner of Front Street in Strathroy where the Derby used to be, and it is anything but Derby!
Erin Bouchard, owner of Once Up on A Time Weddings was available to speak with and shared some of her background in the industry, as well as the many services they offer. With a lot of research and preparation Erin has taken a need that Strathroy and it’s surrounding area has, and met it by providing not only a location for Brides to find their dream dress, but also a location for additional special event wear, including Proms and Graduation attire. Many of Erin’s dresses are chosen from the US, Toronto, and Montreal, giving a wide variety for every style and price range. Erin also provides services such as Wedding Planning, Wedding Consultations, and Personalized Wedding Invitations.
Tuesday, October 26, 2010
Municipality of Lambton Shores - Unofficial Election 2010 Results as posted online at LambtonShores.ca
Last night the votes where counted, and the numbers are in. Below is the list of those who will now be in serving the Lambton Shores area. Congratulations Everyone!
Mayor - Weber, Bill
Deputy Mayor: Davis-Dagg, Elizabeth
Trustee St Clair Catholic Fontaine, John
Trustee Lambton Kent Public: Bryce, Jayne
Councillor – Ward 1: Maguire, Dave
Councillor – Ward 2: Bonesteel, Doug
Councillor – Ward 3: Rupke, Gerry
Councillor – Ward 3: Scott, Lorie
Councillor – Ward 4: Illman, Ruth
Councillor – Ward 5: Underwood, Martin
Councillor – Ward 6: Cook, Doug
Councillor – Ward 7: Russell, John
Monday, October 25, 2010
The annual Arkona Colour Tour took place recently with a great turn out. The ride is run as an “Out & Back” style where bikers have the choice of riding up to 60kms – a few doing this in only 1 hour and 47 minutes! Riders left in two groups, followed by a group of walkers who enjoyed the beautiful local colours at a slightly slower pace. Once again Doug and Marian’s Bike Sales and Repairs came out for an incredible support for those in attendance, as they have since the inception of the Arkona Colour Tour.
Saturday, October 23, 2010
I am very proud of my farming family roots. I loved growing up in the country on a farm, riding horses and motorbikes; and I always enjoy the opportunity to record some family memories for other farming families. This weekend we were able to beat out the rain by moments as I met with the Weigand Family just outside of Dashwood…even the cows got in on the action !
Friday, October 22, 2010
I know I’ve referred to this in the past – but I really do enjoy second shooting at weddings. This post is not about my enjoying second shooting though, but rather, about how much I have enjoyed my second shooters during this past years weddings.
Starting in May, Kelly Easter came all the way from Indianapolis and was an incredible asset for two weddings in both Lambton and Middlesex counties for Daniel & Ashley’s and Roy & Jannette’s weddings. Kelly has an exuberant personality who is much more technically intelligent than I will probably ever be. She was fun to both share information with, and to learn from. To top it off, Kelly is extremely gifted in her post processing skills. Kelly is currently enjoying sleepless nights as she raises her 10 new show puppies back in Indiana as co-owner of A&O Rottweiler's.
John Heenzy then came along side for the wedding of Josh & Julie Anne, this was a special addition for the wedding photography package that was auctioned to raise money for the Kaeden Brown Foundation. John later joined in to help shoot Joshua & Kristine’s outdoor journalistic style wedding, followed by nicer weather with Steve and Amanda’s outdoor autumn wedding this past weekend. John did everything from climbing a silo, and shooting in the rain, to getting down on the docks to capture the moments. After the fall wedding season was completed John and I swapped family sittings as well, which many of you saw and commented on on facebook.
Right in the middle of Josh & Julie Anne’s wedding and Joshua & Kristine’s wedding was another outdoor event. Ross & Amanda tied the knot in a beautiful backyard celebration in which Wendy Smith second shot and went above and beyond by providing transportation entertainment as well! Wendy has second shot with me and visa versa in the past, and is continually challenging herself to improve on her skills both technically and with working a crowd. Wendy has also recently done some photography at the Deleware Speedway where her husband Steve races, taking on an even more diverse aspect of her photography!
Thursday, October 21, 2010
Tuesday, October 19, 2010
Last year I had the pleasure of meeting this family as I captured the memories of Donna & Mike‘s wedding. So, as you may have guessed, I was pretty happy to be able to see them again along with the rest of the family. This is a big family, so this is a very small collection of the family groupings we did on this beautiful sunny afternoon. With lots of Grand children, making for a busy event, but it was outdoors, room to run and leaves to jump in-and everyone did fantastic! Even the weather co operated, during this colourful fall time get together. Thank you Loomis Family!
Monday, October 18, 2010
So, my husband has no idea that I’m doing this :D But I have made him the guest photo blogger for the day ! Thanks Honey!! While I was off on Saturday shooting a gorgeous wedding, my husband was off checking out an air show in Tillsonburg with his brother. These guys love their toys, I mean, planes, whether they are models, replicas, or actually real, these guys are drooling :D So, since Ralph wasn’t able to upload his pictures earlier because his wife was working on a wedding, I thought I’d give you a treat – just a few of the shots my talented hubby shot on Saturday! Nice job Honey!
Sunday, October 17, 2010
Today was my final booked wedding of 2010, and it was definitely the way to end the wedding season! The Bride and Groom were so much in love, and the support of their family and friends was beyond a doubt. Once again John Heenzy was on board as second shooter for this event, I’ll have some of his images posted soon as well, Great job John. To top everything off, we had the perfect fall day! Beautiful colours with the leaves, an airplane, a boat dock, and a couple in love – Perfect! Congratulations Steve & Kathy!!!
Click Below To See The Video
Saturday, October 16, 2010
It has been just over a year now since this little man lost his life in a horrible accident. Kaeden was well known and well loved, and the desire to have his memory live on through the Kaeden Brown Foundation is just one proof of that. Initially this foundation was set up to be a scholarship program, one that will continue for years to come. As a result of many generous and thoughtful individuals and organizations however, the Foundation has grown to now including what is referred to as their Youth Initiatives. As a result “The Kaeden Brown Foundation is excited to announce that it will be purchasing and installing a brand new, multi-piece playground system. With an expected completion date of early November 2010, our hope is that the children will still have time to play before the snow flies, but we know that there will be many hours of fun and entertainment in the years to come”. The equipment, including the red tractor (which personally I think is an amazing touch) will be installed at Bosanquet Central School – the school Kaeden attended, and will be a colourful reminder of Kaeden’s vibrant personality to many of his friends and classmates. To read more about The Kaeden Brown Foundation Please Visit The Website.
Friday, October 15, 2010
Last Call ! Today is the final day to enter the Michael The Maven 2010 Photography Contest. This is not only an amazing contest to take part in as you will be able to compete and view other contestants work, but you will also have the opportunity of taking part in a brand new iphone division!…Not to mention, possibly walk away with an INCREDIBLE Prize! Unlike some contests out there – there are no gimics invovled here – this contest is put on by Michael Andrew Photography – which for those who have been following my blog, I have referred to Michael on a number of occassions, he’s an incredible Photography Instructor who teaches through workshops, and awesome DVD’s that appeal to beginners and experts alike. You can check out his instructional DVD’s at his Online Store, along with his other products like MA Lollipops, Paintballer Pro, and the Sky Cam. Check it out, and get your entries in, you’ve still got time!
Ladies and Gentlemen, I am happy to announce this year's Photography Contest! Grand Prize winner will take home this
If you guys could help me get the word out on this I would greatly appreciate it! These contests take up a tremendous amount of time and money to put on and I would like to make it a yearly event. We are super lucky to have the following celebrity photographers on board to help with judging and I am extremely grateful to them for offering to help:
- Terry White , Guru Educator/Instructor, App Yoda & Photoshop Magazine Author - He is the guy you see teaching anything Adobe or Mac related.
- Arden Ward - Wedding Photographer Extraordanaire.
- The Fabulous Michael Norwood Esquire (I think all Mammoth Men rank directly below a Knight…Ill have to check on this).
- The Infamous F Stoppers gang! I wonder what controversy they are stirring up next?
- I am working on adding one more...
Contest Divisions/Categories, Prizes, & Submission Rules
This post is to announce the official start of the Michael The Maven 2010 Photography Contest. To keep things simple I am going to combine both the Cell Phone contest and the Main Photography contest together, so there are 2 divisions; "iPhone/Cell Phone Division" and the "Main Photography Division".
I also assume this post will grow with details, information, etc, so be sure to link back to it. I will be adding a Contest Banner shortly at the top of the blog. This is a free contest to enter (meaning there are no submission fees, and anyone can enter. (Including last year's winners). You may also enter both divisions, as long as submission rules are followed- I hate to have long posts and rules, but we have to do this to keep some kind of order.
Main Photography (SLR/P&S) Division
-The Grand Prize winner will receive a Brand New Canon 7D with 28-135mm Lens WOW!
- All First Place Winner's will receive a $200 gift coupon to Michael's Photography Store Products (Includes all training DVDs, Actions, Presets, etc) (BTW- There is a new product due in late Sept that most serious photographers will want, can also be applied towards a Maui Workshop, or other mentoring package.)
- All Second Place Winners will receive a $100 coupon to Michael's Photography Store.
- All Third Place Winners will receive a Free 16 x 20 Gallery Wrap from Uprinting.com
(I will add 4th and 5th place winners if we receive over 1000 submissions- last year we had 250 total- Also there are a number of sponsors I am still waiting to hear from, if they come through, we will substitute the gift cards at third place, and/or just add them to 4th and 5th). I also reserve the right to add more prizes depending on the more entries we receive and moving prizes around a bit, but all that will be decided before any finalists are selected. If it gets really big (10,000 participants or more), I will get Canon T2i's for all other 1st place winners- so spread the word! I know that's a lofty goal, but hey, dream big right?
We encourage all entrants of the main contest to mail in your entires on an 8 x 10 or 8 x 12 prints- (small borders are ok) to this address:
Michael The Maven Photography Contest
C/O Rick Jacobi
6040 E Main #512
Mesa, AZ 85205
(Thank you to Rick for volunteering to help with this!)
The reason we are suggesting you submit by physical print is because it will allow you to check for detail and color before submitting.
We are also accepting digital submissions, just know that if you are a finalist, we will be printing it up on an 8x10 or 8x12 to compare with the other finalists. If you are submitting digitally, please email to: email@example.com with the division and category as the subject. For example, if you are submitting an entry for the Main Contest and it's a portrait, the subject of the email should be: "Main Photo Division - Portrait" This will help us stay organized. We also need at minimum your name, and basic contact information. If you win and we cannot identify or contact you, you will forfeit your prize.
1. All images must be submitted between: August 29th 2010- October 15th, 2010 at 11:59pm
2. Images must be submitted physically or high resolution digital files emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org - You must have the subject properly titled to be considered.
3. Images must be taken between August 28th 2009 - October 15th, 2010 (within the last year)
4. You may enter up to 1 image in each category. Submitting "extras" will lead to disqualification.
5 The 5 Main Division Categories include:
B. Landscapes / Nature
E. Abstract / Textures
We must have your submissions no later than Oct 15th, 2010. Remember, if you are in a jam, you can submit digitally up until 11:59pm.
Even if you do not have a printer, we would still recommend ordering your image to be printed from MPix or other print company and have them sent to the contest address. Many contestants did this last year and it worked out great. Be sure to include your division, contact info, etc in the shipping notes.
Categories, Rules, Prizes for the Cell Phone Division include:
The Grand Prize Winner will be: One Brand NEW Canon Rebel T2i With Kit Lens - (or A Gift Card of Equivalent Amount from BHPhoto)
The other 2 - 1st place winners will receive Canon Point and Shoot Digital Cameras (Or Equivalent Gift Cards from BHPhoto)
For the remaining individuals who place (2nd or 3rd place) there will be additional prizes (yet to be determined).
1. All images must be submitted between: August 11th 2010- October 15th, 2010 at 11:59pm
2. Images must be submitted electronically, either by text message or emailed to: email@example.com
3. Images must be taken between August 1st 2010 - October 15th,, 2010
4. You may enter up to 2 images in each category. Submitting "extras" will lead to disqualification.
5. The 3 Cell Phone Categories Are:
C. Wildcard (this is everything else that isn't Portrait and Landscape)
6. The Subject of your entry submission must have "Cell Phone Contest" , followed by a category name: "Cell Phone Contest-Protrait" for example.
7. Images may be edited, but must be done on your phone only. Using Apps are allowed as long as you list which Apps were used in your submission.
8. Your name and contact information (name & email are required) must be submitted with each image. If your image wins, and we are unable to contact you, or you do not respond, your prize will be forfeited.
9. By submitting your images, you give Michael The Maven and its representatives, permission to reproduce & show on websites, social media or other materials for promotional purposes. We also reserve the right to print your image to inspect image quality if necessary.
10. We reserve the right to expand the number of winners and make adjustments to the rules at our discretion.
11. There will be an initial selection process by Michael, from which a panel of judges (yet to be determined) will vote for 5 Finalists in each category. The remaining images will be voted on by blog readers.
Other Rules and Notices
12. By submitting your images for either division, you give Michael The Maven and its representatives, permission to reproduce & show on websites, social media or other materials for promotional purposes. We also reserve the right to print your image to inspect image quality if necessary.
13. We reserve the right to expand the number of winners and make adjustments to the rules at our discretion.
14. There will be an initial selection process by Michael, from which a panel of celebrity photography judges, will vote for 3 Finalists in each category. The remaining images will be voted on by blog readers. The Grand Prize Winner of each category will also be voted on for both divisions.
If you have questions, please ask below in the comments box and I will update with answers.
Both divisions of the contest are now open.
Even if you are not interested in entering, please help get the word out and post this link on Facebook, Twitter or anywhere else you may think would help. I would really like to get as many people involved as possible, and by having a "cell phone" part of the contest, it makes it available for everyone!
Need Tips and Suggestions to make your cell phone images great?
Cell Phone Photography Contest Resources:
- Tons of great basic composition lessons at: Michael The Mentor
- Here is a great Video from myself, Terry White and F-Stoppers on using good light sources to improve image quality.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I use HDR? - Yes.
2. I dont live in America, can I still enter? - Yes, as long as you follow all the rules, it is open for everyone.
3. Watermarks? - No watermarks on the photo, we do not want know who took it so we may judge without bias.
4. Can I stitch images together for panoramas? Yes
5. Can I stitch many images together, such as compositing? It depends. This is a photography contest, not a photoshop or art contest. If it looks like an natural image, then yes, if it is obvious that several different elements and images were composited, then no.
6. What is max file size if emailing? 5MB is max, but to be honest 2-3 is more than enough. We are not accepting RAW files.
7. Should images be watermarked? No.
Any more questions you have will be answered here or in the comments.
Thursday, October 14, 2010
Wednesday, October 13, 2010
This is certainly one of the most beautiful times of the year. Just before the leaves fall, the colours are amazing, and we get some great weather. One of the families I had a chance to be out with was Jamie and Mary Ellen with their girls, a trip to Hungry Hollow, with the beautiful colours of fall!
Tuesday, October 12, 2010
This is really one of the most beautiful times of year – the colours are vibrant, the weather is not too hot and not too cold and the Canadian Geese are still hanging around! The trick to shots like these are to be sure you have a very fast shutter speed. 80-90% of the time I shoot in aperture priority, but in this case I shot this in shutter priority, because I wanted to get a crisp look with some very speedy subjects. These were all shot at 1/2000 sec, with a fairly low ISO as well, something that worked out well due to there being lots of sunlight.
Sunday, October 10, 2010
Friday, October 08, 2010
Thursday, October 07, 2010
Monday, October 04, 2010
There was an announcement at our church this past Sunday regarding an upcoming mission trip to Haiti, it will likely to take place in March of 2010 – there is much to be done, and the devastation is everywhere. The timing of this announcement was interesting to me on several levels, one of which was that recently photographer Michael Andrew has returned to Haiti for another stay to help out – this time it seems more in an area of food distribution. To find out more about how Michael is being used in Haiti, check out his Michael The Maven Blog, or see the CNN iReports.
Saturday, October 02, 2010
The weather reports came true – but nothing would could come close to putting a damper on the celebration that would unite Josh and Kristine! This has got to be one of the nicest couples you could meet, and their wedding day was so personal and beautiful, the rain seemed to only add to the fun. John Heenzy of Heenzy Photography was on hand to second shoot with me on this event as well, grabbing some great shots for the newly weds - Congratulations Josh & Kristine!!!